Monday, October 11, 2010

Quiz time with Amitabh Bachchan

Quiz time with Amitabh Bachchan


Amitabh Bachchan  is a busy bee a couple of days ahead of his 68th. He is shooting simultaneously for his new film Power, directed by Raj Kumar Santoshi, and Kaun Banega Crorepati

A few nights ago he stole the show walking the ramp for Karan Johar. His energy is at an all-time high. 

Excerpts from a tête-à-tête. 

So, all set for the birthday celebrations at home? 
Hold on! There will be no celebrations at home. Of course, if people come over unannounced, they're most welcome. I'll be opening KBC this day. I have been working late into the nights recording promos for the show. 

Is Rajnikanth coming to Mumbai for your birthday? 
There are no such plans. But we've great affection for one another. I met Rajni for the first time in Chennai when I was shooting at the AVM Studios. He came across and met me. 

We've been friends ever since. He's such a humble and simple human being. So down-to-earth... how he remains that way with the kind of fan-following he has is a mystery. 

His wife has been a wonderful support. She has brought up their children so well. Every time I am in Chennai, I call and visit him. We call each other whenever the need arises. 

What did you think of Robot? 
What a massive achievement! Great entertainer. It's all Rajni and Shankar and their hard work. 

On the eve of your birthday you rocked on the ramp. 
Thank you... Kya Karen, karna padta hai kissi terah. 

How do you it? 
Do what? 

Keep crossing new thresholds in your career? 
I don't know about that. I had walked the ramp just once... no twice before, but both times for a cause. This time, I did it because Karan (Johar) asked. I can't say no to Karan. He is family. 

Walking the ramp looks easy enough from the other side. When you look at the models doing it you say, 'Hey, it's not a tough job at all.' But once you go up there you really start admiring them. It's not just a simple walk. It's actually a nightmare. 

This time you seem very comfortable with your television appearance. 
I'm going back to KBC after 10 years. I remember in 2000 when I did the show I was raw to the medium, very hesitant very nervous. That hasn't changed. 

Anytime I go in front of the camera for any medium there will be apprehensions. Creativity is an ongoing process. No matter how professional you are, it can never be enough. One can never be fully comfortable on television. It's a frightening medium for me. 

You seem to enjoy your interaction with the aam aadmi on KBC. 
Yes, they all have such an interesting back story... where they came from, how they grew up. 

This time on the show we actually follow the lives of the contestants to their roots. I actually get to see where they came from, what their parents and family think, etc. 

The human-interest level is high this time. KBC can now be a life-changing moment for the contestant. 

There are people coming on the show from places where the show did not reach earlier. For them KBC is an opportunity to make the kind of money in a hour that they've never seen before. 

Television will occupy a lot of your time this year. 
KBC will go on only until November or the first week of December. I have started shooting for Raj Kumar Santoshi's Power, which will be followed by Prakash Jha's Aarakshan. Then there's Balki's film. We've finally zeroed in on a subject. It will be produced by AB Corp Ltd.

Keyword Amitabh Bachchan Shweta KBC Kaun Banega Crorepati

--
Mahi

No comments:

Post a Comment